Club Awards Day 2022: A Celebration of Student Leaders
What an incredible year for our Florida Virtual School students so far! From thriving in their online classrooms to the passion and energy they bring to their extracurricular activities – our students are next-level awesome.
Over the past few years, FLVS has seen a huge increase in participation in our more than 60 student clubs and activities. From gardening, to coding, robotics, and more, our clubs are a wonderful way for students to connect with one another and get involved in online and face-to-face activities.
Every year, FLVS hosts a Club Awards Day, which recognizes student leaders nominated by their FLVS Club sponsors for their hard work and dedication as members. This year, the event returned to an in-person celebration in Orlando on April 1, 2022. More than 240 students and families attended, showing their club pride and being recognized for their accomplishments.
To kick off the event, attendees viewed the display board exhibit, which included colorful and artistic representations of every FLVS club. During this time, students and families could also meet and greet with other student club members and sponsoring teachers to learn more about the clubs FLVS offers.
After the display board exhibit, the Glee Club did a video performance of the song “Into the Unknown” from Disney’s Frozen, with students singing beautiful harmonies and belting those big Idina Menzel high notes. Additional student performances that were spread throughout the entirety of the event included:
- A video performance from the High School American Sign Language Club, where they signed the song “Lemonade,” by Alex Boye.
- A spirited performance from the Elementary Cheerleading Club, where students showed off their tumbling skills.
- An in-person performance from the Elementary American Sign Language Club, where they signed “What a Wonderful World,” by Louis Armstrong.
Next came our student award ceremony. First, 83 students were called to the stage where they received their certificate of achievement and medallion for embodying the spirit of FLVS and demonstrating outstanding leadership, citizenship, and excellence in their specific club. We were blown away by each of our talented students and their dedication to their activities!
The following 12 students received a FLVS Student of the Year Award trophy for their exemplary academic efforts, volunteer service, leadership, and community service citizenship through clubs and student activities. In addition to these qualities, all award winners are supportive, kind, and inspire their peers, club sponsors, and teachers every single day. These awards were a surprise to all 12 students, and seeing the look of shock and excitement on their faces was incredible. Congratulations to our winners:
- Sylar Borden – Gardening Club
- Joseph Lux – Photography Club
- Abigail Leslie – Robotics Club
- Daniella Perez-Ortega – TV Production
- Kyana-Rae Hunter – Black Student Union
- Zachary Donaldson – Chess Club
- Trevor Flahardy – eSport Club
- Zoe Treadway – Glee Club
- Jett James Pruitt – Model United Nations
- Sarah Hunnefield – Speech and Debate
- Ayla Lima – The Megabyte Broadcast
- Gianna Suarez – Senior Class Club
Watch the FLVS High School American Sign Language Club performance of “Lemonade” in the video below!
A special thank you to the FLVS Foundation for sponsoring the event and supporting our students! Congratulations to all our student leaders, we are so proud of you. We’re already counting down the days to next year’s Club Awards Day.